Trucking News, History, Brands Cataloge and Brochures
Since its founding in 1907, this company was a subsidiary of Italian group Fiat and originally called Osterreichische FIAT-Werke. Its production received the brand name Austro-Fiat or abbreviated AF, which is "Austrian Fiat". The assembly of cars began in Vienna in 1908, when the staff numbered only 50. The first 4-ton truck, similar to the Italian Fiat, was built in 1911.
During the First World War business relations of the company with Fiat were collapsed, so in 1921 Austro-Fiat changed its name to Osterreichische Automobil-fabrik, abbreviated as OAF, while maintaining the same brand. Gradually, a former Austrian subsidiary of Fiat began producing of all machines in Austria, which allowed the company to start developing of their own products. In the early 30's passenger car production was ceased, and the firm is fully switched to production of trucks, buses and special vehicles.
After the annexation of Austria by Germany in 1938, MAN bought a controlling stake in OAF and became its owner. Since then, the production of own trucks in Vienna has been stopped.